Monday, June 20, 2011

Montezuma: “Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them.” -Francesco Guicciardini

Returning to Montezuma was a very different experience. This time it wasn’t a race to find Cocolito, or a mission to jump from the falls; it was simply and wonderfully a weekend to enjoy myself, my friends, and the stunning beauty around me.

P1050057 Stitch

We were fortunate enough to cross the gulf of Nicoya during sunset. As we were crossing, several fins appeared out of the water. Dolphins. It was my first time seeing a dolphin in the wild and I just stood there in awe as they swam through the stream of light the setting sun was projecting onto the water. Possibly inspired by the dolphins, when we arrived at our hostel we decided to take a swim ourselves in the warm ocean water before playing some cards and heading to bed.

It was a fantastic weekend. I woke the next morning bright and early, just as the sun was rising. Montezuma is unique, because although it is on the Pacific, you are lucky enough to be able to see the sunrise over the water because of its position on the peninsula.

P1050091 Stitch

Have I mentioned that I love the panoramic stitch feature on my computer? The picture above is the view from my hostel. I woke up, grabbed my book and camera, and laid in a hammock to watch the sunrise. A lone fisherman was attempting to catch his breakfast, but with little luck. Soon the sound of the waves and the swinging of the hammock lulled me back to sleep. While I usually love to have a mission, this weekend was perfect. It was missionless, yet it let me truly relax and enjoy my surroundings. I read for a while before wandering into town alone to find some strong black coffee and some locals to chat with. I bought some fresh fruit and bread that was still warm for breakfast and ate with my friends on the beach. P1050119

P1050132

We did return to the waterfalls. I opted not to jump again, as I didn’t want another bruise, but we still had fun swimming and lounging around on the rocks. I also discovered that I came within about 100 feet of  Cocolito Waterfall the last time I was in Montezuma, however, it was high tide, so I unable to reach it.  As I said, this was a weekend of relaxation and so I decided not to bare the stifling heat of the afternoon to reach the falls during low tide.

I love good food. I love making it, I love eating it, and most of all, I love sharing it. Saturday night the four of us ventured to the grocery store to buy the food that would become our feast! We bought zucchini, plantains, onions, potatoes, and chorizo. We sliced it all up, seasoned it, and wrapped it in tinfoil. The guys took on the task of making a fire and soon the food was cooking away. It was by far the best meal I have had in Costa Rica. It was delicious, but it was so much more than that. It was the entire experience. There we sat, eating the food we had made, sitting on the beach, gathered around the campfire, after a day spent with friends wandering through the rainforest and swimming in the ocean. It was certainly something to say a prayer of P1050156thanks for.

We were exhausted from the day and after the guys took another quick dip in the ocean and we all played a few rounds of cards, I fell asleep early watching Robin Hood. Sadly, my friend Mitch, on the right above, is leaving next week. We have really become close and I will miss his sarcastic witty humor and his relaxed mentality. This journey has been so much more than venturing to new places; it has been a journey of making friends and of learning to truly appreciate the places you visit and the people you visit them with.

 

P10501351 Stitch

This weekend was certainly another great addition to my Costa Rican journey.

P1050096

2 comments: