Thursday, June 23, 2011

“There is nothing in the world so much like prayer as music is.” -William P. Merrill

Normally I would be posting my upcoming weekend plans on Thursday, but I am not leaving on a trip tomorrow. I am extremely fortunate to have my mom, my aunt Gail, and cousin Maggie coming to visit me this weekend. I am so excited to see them. I miss my family a lot. I have never gone more than a few weeks without seeing them, and now I have been gone for nearly two months; it is high time for a mother daughter reunion.

I can honestly say that I don’t remember the last time I have been this relaxed or happy. Every experience in your life changes you. I learned how to work hard and accept change when I moved to Germany, I grew up when I went to college, and I have learned a very important lesson while I have been in Costa Rica. Live. I have been so focused on completing every goal, finishing every task in record time, and doing everything perfectly that I haven’t stepped back and enjoyed my life. Now I know that it is ok to take a little longer, make a few mistakes, and do things simply because you enjoy it. Now you can find me reading my book in a hammock on the beach while the rest of the world sleeps, and dancing merengue with a bunch of gringos and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

I have made so many wonderful memories with people here. I love the friends I have made. We have inside jokes and nicknames. We can make fun of each other one moment and have deep conversations and share secrets the next. A few of my friends recently wrote a song for our Spanish class called Pura Vida. Pura vida… it is way of life, a mentality, a mindset, an attitude that we could all use a little more of in our lives. It translates to pure life, but the ticos use it constantly. It is like a little reminder all the time that every thing will be ok, don’t worry, relax, enjoy. The song was amazing. One guy played the guitar, one played the charango, and one played the colones (he literally jingled the coins in his hands and it sounded great). My friend who sang has a beautiful voice and being me, I started to get emotional and tear up. I am so impressed by what the guys did. The lyrics and the music were just perfect.

Caminando en la lluvia

Entre las casas llena de color

Mi hermano en las calles

Estar tocando los colones

Es la pura vida

Pura Vida

En la arena estoy descalza

La lleva suave y despacia

mi amor

El sonido de los aves

Resonando y tu sabes

Es la pura vida

Pura Vida

Walking in the rain

Between the colorful houses

Mi brother in the street

Is playing the colones

It’s the pura vida

Pura vida

In the sand I am barefoot

Take it smooth and slow

my love

The sound of the birds

Resounds and you know

It’s the pura vida

Pura vida

a“A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.” -Leopold Stokowski

No comments:

Post a Comment