Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Café Britt: “Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven.” -Jessi Lane Adams

P1050317

This past weekend was the first I spent in San Jose and so I put my detective skills to work and found some things to do around the city! Fortunately for me, my love of coffee led me to Café Britt, a Costa Rican coffee producer. I invited along several girls that had just arrived from the states and we enjoyed a beautiful day drinking LOTS of coffee and eating LOTS of chocolates….what could be better?

We toured a small coffee field and learned about coffee harvesting and processing. Coffee beans actually start out inside of small fruits. First they are green (as they are right now) and eventually the green fruit will become red berries and be harvested in December.

DSC_0087“Do I like my coffee black? There are other colors?” -Author Unknown

 

P1050322Migrant workers come from Panama and Nicaragua to harvest the beans by hand. Café Britt is a very small coffee producing company, but they are widely recognized because they produce only top quality coffee. We took the Coffee Lovers tour and were able to tour the mill, as well. After a delicious lunch, a barista showed us how to make several specialty drinks and she even let me try out my skills! I can’t think of a better way to spend a day in San Jose!

P1050320

                                 “The powers of a man's mind are directly proportioned to the quantity of coffee he drinks.” - Sir James Mackintosh

No comments:

Post a Comment