Thursday, July 28, 2011

“A ship in a harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.” William Shedd

My Journey has been incredible. I never expected to learn so much about myself, about Costa Rica, or about a language when I set out on this crazy adventure nearly three months ago. Another summer has passed, I have met new friends from around the country, and I have gained an unforgettable experience. While moving to a foreign country alone for three months was a little intimidating, I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend my summer than traveling around a beautiful foreign country while learning the language. It has truly been a blessing. Along the way I have learned some very important things: P1050588

1. How important my family is to me.

2. That God’s beautiful creations never cease to amaze me.

3. Good friends can make an experience indescribably better.

4. How amazing it is to learn about another culture & language.

5. How blessed I am to have had this wonderful experience and then get to return home to my wonderful family.

6. How adaptable we are.P1050636

7. Learning about my priorities in life.

Other great, but not so profound things that I have loved about my trip:

1. All the crazy fruits, desserts, and mystery substances I have tried.

2. Living in a big city, but still getting to see the mountains every day.

3. The slower pace of life and learning to go with the flow

This will be my last blog post, so I will update the states from my first blog post:

Day 89 of my Costa Rican Journey and here are my stats:P1050574

Spanish skill level: conversational

Skin color: very tan, with a hint of pink from a long beach weekend

Number of Costa Rican friends: not many, but A LOT of new friends from the states

Number of Costa Rican boys kissed: still 0

Lowest Latitude Reached: 9° N (Bocas del Toro, Panama)

Money Spent: less than my study abroad scholarship money! Goal achieved!

Pictures taken in Costa Rica: 2423

Today I gave my final presentation, took my final exam, and ate some wonderful Costa Rican ice cream with my friends for the very last time. Tomorrow, after class, my friends and I have plans to go for coffee and spend the rest of the day enjoying each other's company. I love my group of friends here. It amazes me how close I have become with these people in just three short months. They are truly special and have helped to make this experience extraordinary.

Thank you to everyone who has read my blog, left comments, and supported me along the way. I am so grateful and blessed.

P1050654

It has been a wonderful Costa Rican Journey. Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment