Tuesday, July 26, 2011

“It's essential to keep an open mind, and to be willing--better yet, eager--to try new things” -Michael Abrash

I only have a few days left on my Costa Rica Journey and I want to make the most of them. Food is definitely  part of a culture and while in the tropics, you must eat the fruit! I have eaten a ridiculous amount of pineapple, papaya, banana, and mango while I was here; however, there were still a ton of mysterious fruits lurking in the markets for us to try… and try we did! Jason and I went to the local fruit market and bought about a dozen strange fruits for our group of friends. I’ll admit… they were not all delicious. But I did find a few that I loved!

Zapote – delicious!                                        Mamon – yum!                                        Cas – bitter and horrible

      

       Mangosteen – there are no words        Passion Fruit – wonderful                                     Jacote – the worst one…so bitter

      

Dragon Fruit – bland                                      Guanabana – strange texture, but yummy        Anon – not good or bad

       P1050552

Carambola – tart                                                Loquat – not my cup of tea

  

My Ukrainian friend, Pavel, also taught me how to make Piroshki, a typical Ukrainian bread filled with mashed potatoes and then fried. It was a wonderful meal!

P1050545     P1050558     P1050563

No comments:

Post a Comment