Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Universidad Veritas (my school)

I am slowly learning to accept the Costa Rican way of life, which is significantly slower paced than the American way of life. I am used to running from this to that, squeezing in a little homework here, a little time to eat there. Costa Rica is very different. I have lots, and lots, and lots of time. I like the mentality here... or I'm getting to like it. The first day of school I showed up 20 minutes early and no one, not even the professors, were there yet. Now I know that the right time to arrive is about 10 minutes late. They call this "tico time" (the locals are called ticos). My professor shows up late every single day, without fail. Despite the fact that everyone arrives late, I can't help but still be a few minutes early :)

Today was a typical Tuesday. My professor was late, we had class, and afterwards several of my friends and I went out to lunch at this wonderful little Mexican restaurant about a block from school. Afterwards I headed back home. The application for medical schools became available yesterday so I worked diligently on that for several hours. That was definitely the highlight of my afternoon. I am so excited for medical school. If my plans work out, I will be moving out of Iowa and most likely to either a coastal, or more southern, part of the United States. I want to get out of Iowa and experience something new (ok, it is a little ironic that I say that as I am writing from Costa Rica).

Other things I have learned so far:

1) A LOT of Spanish. My Spanish is improving every day!                                                                                              Veritas from the other side

2) My host family eats no sweets. This does not work for me. Wednesday of last week (yes, 4 days was too much) I broke down and bought a piece of cake...it was necessary for survival.

3) You know citronella? Like the citronella candles that keep mosquitoes away? Well, it is actually a fruit that grows in the rainforest here. It smells exactly like a fruit loop; I kid you not. We found them during our trip last weekend and a man told us we should rub it on ourselves to keep bugs away. We didn't do this, but it sure smelled delicious.


4) Food is expensive. A thanks goes out to my parents. I never realized how much food costs. Last weekend I spent more on food than on our accommodations and we were eating as cheaply as possible. Granted, I was only spending $10 a night to sleep on a bed with bird poop, and shower with the frogs... but it is all part of the experience.

5) We should not take everything we have for granted. Hot showers, air conditioning, unlocked doors, safety walking alone... these are all things we just expect to have. This experience has already taught me to be much more appreciative of all the things I have. This opportunity is amazing and I want to learn everything I possibly can from being here.

Q&A

Q:Keep posting the wonderful updates and pictures so we can live vicariously through you! Have fun and be safe.
Amy Phillips Hansen

A: Thanks, Amy! I am glad you are enjoying my pictures and stories. I will definitely continue to post!

Q:Too bad you haven't been able to do much since you've been there :) I know you won't waste a minute while you are there. We expect to taste the results of your cooking class.
Grandma

A: You know me, I want to take advantage of the time I have! Three months is going to fly by. And no worries, I will cook Costa Rican any time you want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment