Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." -Langston Hughes

It is the first day when the weather has not been perfect, yet it doesn't make the country any less beautiful. The mountains that surround the city were gorgeous; the tops were blanketed in clouds. During my walk to school, which is about ten minutes, I decided that embracing the humidity and rain was the best thing to do and my new found appreciation turned into a very fun day! After school I went with friends to play soccer in the rain. I've never had so much fun playing soccer. I came back a little more wet and a little more dirty than I left, but it was definitely worth the experience.


Last night we went to a movie at the San Pedro Mall, very near my home. We saw La chica de la capa roja aka Little Red Riding Hood. It was in English with Spanish subtitles and only cost 1000 colones. That may seem expensive, but in reality it is only $2! In the airport in Houston I exchanged some dollars and received 50,000₡ in return! Afterwards we went out for a little while. I love being in the city; there is so much to do and so much to see.


This weekend I have planned a trip to Manuel Antonio National Park. Manuel Antonio is a small town with beautiful white sand beaches on the Pacific coast. Apparently, monkeys run around everywhere, on the beach, in the town, and, of course, in the rainforest that borders the beach. In the rainforest crocodiles, toucans, parrots, aardvarks and sloths are commonly seen. I will have my camera ready! My friends and I are leaving immediately after school tomorrow and taking the bus three hours to coast, so this will be my last post until Sunday. I live at the green arrow and Manuel Antonio is the red arrow. It should be an awesome first adventure!











Q&A

Q: Mangos are my favorite. Sounds like time for fruit smoothies.
A: They have smoothies everywhere and my host grandma serves me different juices at each meal! They are a little different than at home. Most smoothies are made with just one fruit and then milk or water, it's your choice. It is basically a thick juice. I tried a pineapple smoothie yesterday, yum! My favorite drink that I have had here is called horchata (there is no English translation that I've found) It is a drink made from ground rice, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, milk, and water. It is light, refreshing, and delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you haven't been able to do much since you've been there :) I know you won't waste a minute while you are there. We expect to taste the results of your cooking class.

    ReplyDelete