Monday, May 16, 2011

“Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.”

Today I went to the artisan market in down town San Jose with my friend Jamie. P1030773Jamie LOVES to shop. She bought her third noise-making wooden frog… that is the kind of shopper Jamie is and it is so fun to give her a hard time about it. I, on the other hand, am super practical, but I do love to buy gifts for people. I finished shopping for Josh, my wonderful little brother who I actually miss a lot, today!

The artisan market is an experience it itself. It is almost 100 little shops (they are numbered) all in one long line in front of the National Museum. Many of them have the exact same things, but it is fun to shop for Costa Rican souvenirs, postcards, and things that are probably made in China but they market as Costa Rican. You also get to barter over 50 cents. It’s all part of the fun.Market%20Inside[1]

The best part of my day was when I was bartering for Josh’s pocket knife (I’m positive he doesn’t read this, so I’m not ruining any surprise) and the man told me my Spanish was very good and he could understand everything I said. Granted, we only spoke for a few minutes, but it was such a feeling of accomplishment. My Spanish really must be improving because while I was eating dinner and talking to Karol, my host sister, my abuela told me the same thing! It is so exciting! 

Q&A

Q: Aren't there any bugs??
Also, what is the drinking age? Just making sure you are legal... Remember, uncle Scott said he doesn't want to have to bail you out!! :)

A: There are LOTS of bugs… but either I smell or something because I never get bitten! Its also possible that the smell of the hammocks deterred them. Lets just say I’m not sure if those things have been washed, ever.

Secondly, I bought alcohol at the grocery store for the second time in my life today (Paul, read no further). The first time was when I was 14 and you sent me to the store in Germany to buy wine… just to see if they’d let me (they did). Today it was legal, I bought some typical Costa Rican alcohol for Paul. So don’t worry, uncle Scott, I won’t need you… unless I manage to get into some other kind of trouble!

Q: Sounds like a great time Hannah. save some of the fun 4 when we visit.
love, Gail

A:  There is more than enough fun to last for when you guys are here, Gail! I am so excited for you  to come because I have heard so many great things about Arenal! It is going to be a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Keep learning and sharing. Looks like you are having a lot of fun while being "educated".

    ReplyDelete