Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"I just get all jacked up when we start cooking." -Terry Kath

Today is Wednesday... Costa Rican cooking day! We made the most simple, yet delicious, dessert. They are basically macaroons, but the Spanish name is cajetitas de coco, literally translated it means coconut caramels.

Cajetitas de Coco
Mi cajetitas de coco
5 c. shredded coconut
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/8 t. salt
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
5 egg yolks

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
3) Scoop into small balls and place on greased baking sheet.
4) Bake about 10 minutes or until golden. Eat at least one right away to experience the warm, gooey, deliciousness!

Other than cooking, not a whole lot happened today. I talked to a bunch of wonderful people yesterday via skype including my mom, Dylan, Britney, and Hannah. It is great to be able to keep in touch with people back home (well, Hannah is in Italy, but she is from home). Actually, I will take this opportunity to post my skype name in case anyone else would like to skype chat; it is hannahjculbertson.



Tomorrow I have my midterm, crazy, huh? Each class I am taking here is 4 weeks long, so the 2 week mark is the midterm. I am leaving early for my next trip so I won't be in class on Friday. My next adventure is taking me to the other side of the country, the Caribbean coast, to Puerto Viejo (A town a little ways south of Puerto Limon, where Columbus docked for 17 days in 1502) and Cahuita! I am very excited.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your trip too-love reading all about it every day.Copied your recipe to share.Moved to the lake-have only cell phone here.
    Grandma C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    How are you choosing your destinations? Did you set an itinerary before going to Costa Rica? Your journey sounds fascinating thus far! Enjoy!
    Kristin, David and the kids.

    ReplyDelete